Creamed Asparagus on Toast
A comfort food that can be served for any meal of the day.
- 1 lb of Asparagus after ends snapped off and rinsed (2 bunches from the store usually are very close) – cut into 1” pieces
- 2 c Milk
- 4 T Butter
- 4 T Flour
- 1 t Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Toast of your choice
- Snap ends off asparagus by holding stalk in both hands and snap the root end off. By doing this instead of using a knife, you snap the woody end off, discard it, leaving you the tender stalk of asparagus for your dish. Each stalk breaks at just the right spot. Cut into 1” pieces.
- Rinse and steam asparagus until fork tender
- In separate pan, melt butter
- Whisk in Flour, Salt and Pepper – cook for 2 minutes - stirring continuously
- Add milk, stirring continuously until it thickens and just comes to a boil. Remove from heat
- Stir in asparagus
- Serve on your favorite toast, buttered of course!
This is a versatile recipe and if you prefer not to serve over toast, it makes an excellent side dish by just adding cooked pasta or in a bowl as a thick creamed soup. Refrigerate leftovers and reheats very well.