Recipe for Success: Game Day Chili & Homemade Cornbread
This is a fan favorite! Perfect for a brisk day, tailgating, or wonderful comfort food anytime. The hardest part about this recipe is opening the cans if you don’t have an electric can opener.
Game Day Chili
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 2 Vidalia onions – diced
- 1 48-ounce tomato juice
- 2 cans chili ready kidney beans (or plain)
- 2 cans chili tomatoes (I use 1 chili and 1 with green chilies for a little extra spice)
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T chili powder (more if desired)
- 1 - 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional depending on heat desired)
- Brown hamburger and onions in a large stockpot – drain, return to pot.
- Add in remaining ingredients – bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low 4 to 6 hours (can also be placed in crockpot for this step).
- 1 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. oil (vegetable / canola)
- Combine dry ingredients – mix well
- Combine wet ingredients – mix well
- Pour wet into dry, mix until just moistened – batter will be lumpy – do not overmix.
- Pour into greased 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
Optional Add-ins: cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos, or chopped sundried tomatoes
Pair the Game Day Chili in a bowl with the Homemade Cornbread, top it with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped raw onion, and sour cream or Greek yogurt for a perfect meal. The Homemade Cornbread can also be served with butter and honey!