Sherry’s Recipe Corner: Cream of Turkey and Orzo Soup
Thinking about what to do with your left-over turkey from Thanksgiving? This recipe is a delicious and flexible choice.
- 3 cups Shredded Left-over Turkey (or chicken)
- 64 ounces Chicken Stock
- 4 stalks of Celery – diced
- 1 large Vidalia Onion – diced
- 10 ounces of Matchstick Carrots
- 8 ounces sliced Mushrooms
- 1 cup of uncooked Orzo (cook according to package directions)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese (low-fat works too)
- 3 T Butter
- 1 T Sugar
- 2 T Parsley
- 1 t Dried Basil
- 1 t Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, add Broth, Celery, Onion, Carrots, Mushrooms, and simmer until tender.
- In a separate pan, heat cream, butter, and cream cheese whisking until completely incorporated, do not boil.
- Add to the stockpot along with Turkey (or Chicken) and Orzo.
- If you never used a hand mixer for shredding chicken – it is magic!
- Change out or add veggies of your choice
- Any pasta would work or even dumplings
- Can serve with a dollop of sour cream and cheddar cheese
- You can also substitute turkey for chicken!